Job Opening: Network Coordinator of CA16111 – ETHMIGSURVEYDATA
Our COST Action, CA16111 – ETHMIGSURVEYDATA, is looking to hire a new Network Coordinator! In this exciting role, you would be supporting a project that is dedicated to quantitative survey data on EMMs’ integration.
If you are interested in applying, please check out the call for applications and submit your application by 5 PM Paris time on 8 March.
Network Coordinator of COST Action 16111 ETHMIGSURVEYDATA
Centre for European Studies and Comparative Politics, CEE, Sciences Po
Prof Laura Morales (Principal Investigator) and Ms Linda Amrani (General Secretary of the CEE)
Sunday 8th March 2019, 17:00 (Paris time)
How to apply:
Send a one-page cover letter outlining how you meet the essential requirements for the position, and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview on the week of 18th March.
- Fixed term contract (CDD) between 1st April 2019 and 30th April 2020 (renewable, subject to funding, one year more)
- 60% contract, 21 h 54 mins weekly (94 h 90 mins monthly)
- Salary: €1,440 monthly (gross), plus tickets restaurant (one per full-time working day) and half of the cost of the Paris transport card
- This is a part-time appointment and normal working arrangements will be agreed between the PI and the post-holder but will require some flexibility on the days of work depending on the scheduling of international meetings
We are seeking to appoint a Network Coordinator (at 60% full time equivalent) to support the CEE (Sciences Po) as the Grant Holder of COST Action 16111 “International Ethnic and Immigrant Minorities’ Survey Data Network (ETHMIGSURVEYDATA)” and Prof Laura Morales as the Chair of this COST Action. Sciences Po is responsible for the management of the funds allocated to this Action and Professor Morales is responsible for the scientific coordination and management of the Action and of a network that includes researchers from more than 40 countries across Europe and elsewhere in the world. More information can be found on the COST Action website and the network website at Sciences Po.
The Network Coordinator will take on both scientific coordination tasks and network administration tasks. You will support Prof Morales in the scientific tasks required to support the work of the five work groups that structure the ETHMIGSURVEYDATA network. This will require being able to process, manage and curate survey data as well as prepare and undertake data analysis and tests using quantitative techniques. You will document research findings and activities for all reports required by COST, handle the communications of the Network, and contribute as a junior partner to the writing and publication of short research briefs, blog posts, and research papers as necessary. You will also support Prof Morales in the coordination tasks relating to the organisation of all the activities undertaken by the COST Action network. Finally, you will support the CEE management team in all the internal and external administration of the COST Action, including the processing of all the documents required for the reimbursement of the expenses of the Network members.
You will have a postgraduate degree in Sociology or Political Science, have prior research experience in externally funded projects and experience of grant management and administration. You will be trained in social science research methods and in quantitative techniques at postgraduate level, and ideally have some expertise in survey research and migration/ethnic studies and it is essential that you have demonstrable experience of data management with SPSS or Stata. The post-holder will be expected to work from campus at Sciences Po, and the appointment is expected to start by 1st April 2019. Full details of responsibilities are provided below.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A postgraduate degree in Politics or Sociology and with a substantive and methodological focus relevant to the network. Degrees directly giving access to a PhD programme in their home university system will be regarded as equivalent to an MA/MSc/MRes for the purposes of this job application.
- Prior research experience in externally funded projects.
- Prior experience of grant management, preferably of research networks.
- Solid training in social science research methods and in advanced quantitative techniques at postgraduate level.
- Experience of data management and analysis with SPSS or Stata.
- Experience of undertaking research with quantitative survey data.
- Good knowledge of survey research in all its dimensions.
- Research experience in migration and/or ethnic studies.
- Proficiency in English: oral and written.
- Proven ability to write up research findings.
- Very good management and administration skills.
- Ability to take initiative, self-manage and contribute to the effective coordination and management of the network.
- Expertise with relevant office packages.
- Skills in website and social media content management.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to work on campus at Sciences Po.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally for meetings, as required.
Desirable, but not essential:
- A topical interest and knowledge of ethnic/migrant minority integration (economic, social, civic or political).
- Experience in communicating the results of academic research for non-academic audiences.
- Experience in financial administration.
- Advanced language skills (written and oral) in French.
- Handle external communications of the COST Action activities and results: email and social media account monitoring, updating project websites, preparing newsletters, etc.
- Undertake all tasks relating to the management of the membership in the network as well as the coordination of the organisation of the activities and events of the COST Action.
- Process all the paperwork and online documentation relating to the reimbursement of the expenses incurred by the network members in relation to the COST Action activities, and all other administrative duties relating to the Action, including collating the necessary information, coordinating input and drafting reports to ensure the reporting requirements of the funding body are met in a timely manner.
- Identify and understand work requirements prioritising tasks and responsibilities within an agreed timeframe agreed with the Principal Investigator.
- Responsible for the liaison with the officers of the COST Association at Brussels and monitoring of the budget of the COST Action (approx. €200,000 per budgetary year), with the management team at CEE, and all relevant sections at Sciences Po, when required.
- Communication with the PI and the international researchers on a regular basis, including travelling within France and overseas for research team meetings regularly.
- Support the Network and the PI in the collection, processing and interpretation of the research data.
- Prepare and undertake data analysis and tests using quantitative techniques and approaches agreed with the Principal Investigator and the rest of the team.
- Document the research findings, assessing the outcomes and options emerging from the research and contributing as a junior partner to the dissemination of research outputs.
- Responsible for the maintenance and version control of the data collected. This will also include cleaning and documenting data and its safe storage using the agreed protocols, as defined by the PI and Sciences Po policy.
- The post holder will be required to effectively manage their time to deliver on the priorities of the network. The post holder will need to plan ahead to ensure that both the scientific and administrative tasks are delivered in accordance with the overall objectives and deadlines. This may include defining tasks and schedules, organising meetings, preparing intermediate reports on activities, data and findings, and contributing to the final annual reports.